1718 -- Mission San Antonio de Valero established on the east bank of the San Antonio River by Father Antonio Olivares. It was later moved to the west bank, and re-established at its present location in 1724 after a hurricane wrecked the original structure.
1727 -- Two-story stone structure now known as the Long Barrack was completed. It included living quarters for the priests, offices, a dining hall, and kitchens.
1744 -- Construction begins on a stone church off the southeast corner of the Long Barrack.
1756 -- Stone church collapses due to faulty construction.
1758 -- Construction begins on second church. The date is inscribed above the door. It is never completed as a church.
1793 -- San Antonio missions handled over to civil authorities, epidemics having depopulated them. Spanish cavalry move into Mission de Valero. Since they came from Alamo de Parras in Mexico, the former mission became known as "Pueblo del Alamo." ("Alamo" means "cottonwood.")
1821 -- Mexican troops replace Spanish troops at the Alamo.
1835 -- Mexican General Martin Perfecto de Cos fortifies the compound in response to rebelling Texians, but is defeated in street fighting outside the walls.
1836 -- Battle of the Alamo.
1849 -- Alamo church repaired by U.S. Army. Upper facade takes present shape.
1876 -- Frame building erected atop remains of the Long Barrack and used as a store.
1883 -- Alamo church bought by State of Texas. Had been used as a warehouse.
1903 -- Long Barrack building offered for sale as a hotel site. Bought instead by Clara Driscoll of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
1905 -- State of Texas repays Miss Driscoll for the Long Barrack transaction, then places it and church in custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas "to be maintained in good order and repair, without charge to the State."
Present -- The Daughters of the Republic of Texas maintain the "Shrine of Texas Liberty" using donations and the proceeds of their gift and museum shop. There is no admission fee. The modern city of San Antonio has grown up around the site. What was once the mission's enclosed compound is now a traffic square with a monument. On the east side of the square stands the church and Long Barrack. The store fronts on the other side of the square stand approximately where the compound wall stood.
Table of Contents
|Alamo Front Page|
Back to Heart of San Antonio